Monday, February 23, 2009

Anything for Salami

Phoebe took food from strangers. This is a HUGE big step in her trust. She still had to be on leash, but she relaxed and even looked a little bit like she was enjoying herself. I had two dog savvy friends over the other day, we all sat on the floor with Phoebe on leash and gave her bits of salami. It took her about a half hour but she eventually relaxed, ate the nibbles and came (almost) into the centre of our circle. She still isn't ready for adoption, it will be a few more months but boy do I see some nice strides in her development in the last couple of weeks.

Nepsa is doing some pretty interesting behaviours these days. I had her out for her second big run in the bush on Saturday. We came across some strange dogs (which is unusual, we rarely see anyone out there which is why I go there). She was on the attack before they could even sniff her butt. A large fight ensued unfortunately, malamutes don't take kindly to obnoxious little aussies that think the best offence is a good defence. And of course I had her on the long line so she wasn't easy to get and when I did get her the mals were sure I was holding her in place just for them. I have fitted her with a gentle leader and I am taking her to the training centre to sit in the foyer and receive treats while people come and go to class tonight and see what exactly I am dealing with. She has improved tremendously in the house here and is now able to be out with all of the dogs all the time. Her gaurding is still present but has significantly diminished. She starts her basic obedience class next week so I need to work on this new development pronto!

On another note, I have THE cutest little six month old border collie here being fostered and assessed for the PG SPCA. She is lovely, a nice little submissive peeing baby who likes to grovel at your feet. She does have resource gaurding issues that I am trying to sort out at the moment but is a lovely and very athletic dog. I'd show you pictures, but I dropped my camera and broke it! Very frustrating.

No comments: