Monday, July 13, 2009

Gibbs goes up for adoption

Gibbs was put up on petfinder last week. Let the applications begin! He is happy, he is getting along with everyone, he is neutered and had all his vet care done. It is time now for him to find his place. Training for him right now consists of continuing to learn daily life, and trips to strange places. We've gone on car rides, and last week he went on an off leash walk with the rest of the crew. It is always a bit of a gamble taking them off leash (especially the deaf ones) but I know they are ready when they are bonded to a couple of dogs in my group. My pack walk really well off leash, they run and play and deke into the bush but they are always in sight, and they always come when called. This works great when training a new dog (we have trained a couple of my friends' dogs this way too) as the new dog follows the pack. What they do, he does. So when he comes back, I take special attention to taking his collar and then giving him a cookie and then letting him go again. I do this maybe twice on an hour long walk, the rest of the time they just do what they like. My cookies are not as reinforcing as running, so calling them back for a cookie multiple times would be perceived by the dog as a punishment, not as a reinforcer. So some really tasty steak, and only a couple of times and voila, you have reinforcement. Gibbs did well on his walk, though I can see that he has an independent side to him. Next time I will have him wear a bear bell so I can tell where he is in the bush. He gets caught up in his sniffs!
I am keeping my fingers crossed for Gibbs for a great home for him. He deserves it, no living thing should ever be thrown out like garbage.

No comments: