Monday, June 22, 2009

It's Official

Herding Dog Rescue in BC is closing.
I have taken on my last dog for rescue (heard that before anyone?!) before the move. I will still foster for the shelter or for another rescue group that might need me from now until I move, but I will no longer be taking in dogs that are my sole responsibility. The move is imminent, and I need to focus on getting the dogs that are here adopted before the house goes up for sale in November. It seems like a long way off, but it isn't. These dogs take time, money, and patience to be adoptable. Phoebe has been here since December, Trixie has been here for two years coming up September (not that she is going anywhere now anyway). And with two deaf dogs with special needs there will likely be a bit of a wait for them too. The vet fund has run dry and I can no longer supplement vet bills with my own income seeing as I need to make repairs to the house before selling (and eat too plus feed all these dogs).
I will still of course be posting here about the dogs I have up for adoption, and when they have found their places I'll post stuff about training my own dogs! Imagine that! :)
Thank you everyone for your generous support over the last ten years. It means so much, and I am blessed to have been a part of so many people's lives and to be given the opportunity to learn from so many dogs. For those of you that have adopted from me, your contract still stands and I will always want and take responsibility for any dog that I have placed that may find themselves needing back into rescue. Thank you everyone!

4 comments:

Kelsey B said...

If I can help at all let me know. Maverick is grateful to you I'm sure, for taking him in and finding him a forever home. He's become a big part of my life.

jdeakin said...

Sami and the family will be forever grateful for you taking a chance on a deaf boy from California. Now he has a forever home with four servants and three Kongs backing on the biggest dog park in Calgary and his own dog shower. He is also on his way to becoming an agility superstar.
This couldn't have happened without you.

Unknown said...

Shannon, I am forever indebted to you for my wonderful Ollie (formerly Jake). He has changed my life immeasurably. He is joy and love in the most beautiful package, and sometimes I still can't believe I lucked into finding him. You found him for me.

Please keep posting- I love your blog so much.

Performance Canine said...

Thanks guys! They are all special and deserve all the very best that we can offer them. It is heartbreaking to have to give it up, but it is time for someone else's turn now. :) Only three to adopt and my house will seem empty!