Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A few more successes and an interesting development

So Phoebe is coming along. The biggest success is that she is learning to beg. Under the safety of the computer desk she will poke me with her nose and this morning put a paw on my leg asking for a treat. If the other dogs are around she will take it from my hand, if they aren't she tries to hold out until I drop it. Unfortunately for her I have decided that she will take it from my hand or she doesn't get it. But it seems clear that food is going to be the way to get her out of her shell to like people maybe a little bit.
I have also started feeding her in the kitchen. This last week she has been running out to the kitchen to watch the other dogs eat and then running back into her kennel. Back and forth like a little rocket. Day before yesterday she stole a couple of kibbles out of Heidi's dish while she was waiting to be released so that was my sign that she was ready. I put her bowl down first and then had all the other dogs sit and wait in front of their bowls as usual. She ate a few kibbles out of her bowl, especially while the other dogs were eating but was intimidated by all the commotion and kept running away a few steps from her bowl. In the end Marty ate her supper while she watched so we'll see how things go tonight! I doubt she will let that happen again.
She has also been on her first couple of leash walks outside of the yard. After triple checking that there was no way that collar could come off we went for a walk down the street a couple of blocks. Lots of fish on the line business. She is petrified but seems to have a natural understanding to stay close to me and not pull on the leash which is nice (since none of mine are properly leash trained!).
The interesting development is related to her developing some pretty serious 'tude. She has started guarding her kennel, growling and barking at the dogs if they get close to it and also growling at me when I give her straight on eye contact while she is in there. I noticed this behaviour starting a couple of weeks ago but never did anything about it (stupid me). It is now transferring out of the crate, she runs up barking when I let the other dogs out of their crates and when they are playing she is becoming the fun police. She runs out barking and huffing and scratching the carpet with her back legs and then runs away like the big chicken she is. She has started to really "yo b*#ch" me but she isn't really sure what she is doing.
In light of this I have taken the crate away from the den where we spend most of our time and put it in the bedroom next to me. That way she can't bark to be let out in the morning (I don't let her out but I have been listening to it every morning for about an hour before she gives up for the last couple of weeks) and there is no crate to guard during the day. I need to hustle up and get her really wanting the treats that I have in order to start establishing some rules around the crate, some impulse control etc. It is impossible to do crate games and impulse control exercises when she runs away and won't take the food. I can see that this is one little dog that could very easily become an absolute terror and rule the roost given the opportunity.
On a lighter note she has started taking toys and chewing on them (and my socks) which is great. Hopefully we will be able to build on that in the coming months as well.
I have not started working on picking her up. I am still working on petting her and getting her comfortable with that first. She flinches every time you touch her, so until she stops flinching at my touch I will not push the bigger handling moves.
That's it for now! Toque is doing well, she is putting her foot down now and will weight bear a tiny bit at least enough for me to get her physio done. Yay! Poor baby is going a little stir crazy. I've taken to putting agility videos on TV to keep her entertained, she loves to watch dogs on TV. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your dedication and perseverance are starting to pay off. Sami says that he must have been a piece of cake compared to Phoebe; he's a little full of himself after finishing eight weeks of Pet Manners....and he wishes Toque a speedy recovery. He too loves to watch dogs on the big screen.